Butler America Telecommunication
Job Title: Central Office Technician
· Operating and maintaining all types, including legacy systems as well as next generation technologies, of local and toll switching equipment, data network equipment, computer processing equipment and associated peripherals. Assisting with or performing system and equipment installations, acceptance testing and initialization. This equipment could consist of but not limited to the following:
o DMS 10/100
· Performing and verifying generic upgrades, system reconfigurations, F.C.O.’s hardware changes and system relocations.
· Performing coordination and testing functions associated with the services provisioning activities.
· Gathering information required for projects or task. Researching relevant sources to ensure that information is current and relevant. Carefully reading forms, diagrams and other documents to install or maintain services.
· Wiring on toll and cosmic frames related to OE/LEN, xDSL ports, and cable pair.
· Wiring on DSX-1 and DSX-3 panels related to Hi-Caps.
· Performing daily backups and routine monitoring of switches, transport equipment, and data networks.
· Ability to use and interpret results of testing equipment from various manufacturers and models
· Analyzing, and reviewing system alarms, logs, trouble reports, traffic measurement reports, etc. Corrective action taken as needed.
· Performing tests, analyzing data and interpreting manuals and wiring diagrams to locate and clear trouble conditions in transport equipment, data networks and associated peripherals. This equipment could consist of but not limited to the following:
o DWDM / CWDM
o Pair Gains / DSLAMs
§ Adtran TA 3000/5000
§ Alcatel / Nokia
o Digital Cross-connects
§ Titan 5500/6500
§ DACS III/IV
· Maintaining accurate and complete records. Preparing and updating logs, records and files regularly.
· Working with field technicians that utilize complex testing devices such as protocol analyzers, transmission measuring sets, etc., while trouble shooting and installing services.
· Analyzing and verifying switching or operational support systems software including translations.
· Accessing and operating of operational support system software and hardware including systems used for specific Butler contracts, such as federal contracts.
· Works inside an open office environment at a computer terminal for extended periods of time, and modifies/analyzes some software programs. May be required to travel and work in various buildings.
· May be required to perform LAN/WAN administration.
· Actively participates in maintenance of inventory and update systems when applicable.
· Contacting Butlers, external and/or internal may be required.
· May be required to perform additional duties and tasks as required by the Company.
· Perform the operation of and basic maintenance of portable and stationary back up power generators (ie check oil, start battery and antifreeze fluid levels)
· Perform basic troubleshooting of central office power rectifiers/converters and power plant maintenance as well as perform alarm diagnosis
· Perform basic troubleshooting of central office timing equipment (ie, BITS Clock)
· Must meet safety-related requirements including but not limited to those standards of safety imposed by OSHA, state agencies, manufacturers and/or the company.
· Must be able to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, including, but not limited to, perceiving differences in wire cable colors, moving and/or lifting items such as ladders, tools, cable, test equipment and other objects weighing up to 40 pounds, working aloft; climbing ladders and working in confined spaces to accomplish job tasks.
· May require the normal medical authorized health evaluation where appropriate.
· Security background investigation may be required.
Where driving is required, a valid state driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
Preferred Training/Certifications & Education:
· Digital fundamentals and electricity theory, equivalent trade experience or certificate (A+, Networking +, or CCNA) from an accredited outside agency.
· Experience in advanced software based digital switch programming and diagnostics
· Basic knowledge of AC/DC voltage